Dancers’ Studio West is a nonprofit organization that will celebrate 40 years of service to the dance community in 2020. The organization is currently re-visioning to become a top tier resource and production centre supporting the evolution of contemporary dance practice in Alberta. A new Artistic Director joined the organization in 2018 and transitions have started with new programming designed to enhance technical competency and creative risk taking in contemporary dance practice in all its diversity. We are committed to supporting the dance artist at each stage of their career, and seek to increase their capacity to research, experiment, innovate, create, and to develop their career.
We are currently recruiting for a Managing Coordinator to oversee the administrative / operational functions of the organization, and assist the Artistic Director and Board of Directors in carrying out Dancers’ Studio West’s mission and vision. We are canvassing for an enthusiastic individual who has experience managing multi-functional projects and one who enjoys wearing multiple hats in a day.
Dancers’ Studio West is looking for a team member who is:
- Constructive, future-orientated, and holds high accountability
- Team-orientated with the ability to quickly build collaborative working relationships
- Flexible, positive and able to adapt to the needs of the organization
- Self-starter who gets the job done
- Collaborate with and support the Artistic Director to develop, execute and evolve Dancers’ Studio West funding strategy, and mature its membership, audience and community engagement practices
- Prepare statistical and financial reports for inclusion in submissions for potential grants and government funding, as directed and in conjunction with the Artistic Director
- Work closely with the Bookkeeper to manage day-to-day finances, develop management reports and collaboratively create annual budgets with Artistic Director
- Provision, direct & supervise all volunteers and their activities
- Manage and progress all organizational policies and ensure their continued compliance; understanding future risks and recommending mitigation strategies
- Lead the coordination of all infrastructure management activities, including facilities, equipment & IT
- Oversee contracting contractors, as directed and deemed appropriate by Artistic Director
- Support contracting contractors, as required, to move forward approved programming and projects (e.g. production management, information management, communications, marketing, etc.)
- Complete other administrative activities as necessary to ensure that Dancers’ Studio West runs smoothly such as Board meetings, AGM, productions and presentations, etc.
Qualifications and education:
- Experience within the arts sector and understanding of the programming lifecycle
- An active professional network in Alberta
- Experience in working on project teams
- Experience writing and developing proposals / applications
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Advanced information technology skills, with strong working knowledge of cloud storage, website software, social media and automation tools
- 5+ years of nonprofit work experience including process and procedures.
The Managing Coordinator position will allow you the opportunity to make a difference in advancing the community of contemporary dance practices and productions across Alberta and nationally.
Depending on the skill set and experience of the candidate, it is anticipated that this will be a halftime to full-time role.
To express your interest or apply for the role, please contact Board Chair, Wilma Slenders, at BoardChair@dswlive.ca or 403.669.7926 with a covering letter indicating why this role interests you and a resume.